I'm an associate professor in Computer Science & Engineering at Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur and a visiting faculty researcher at Google Research India. Before this (reverse chronologically), I was a research faculty in Electrical and Computer Engineering, at Duke University, a post-doctoral fellow in Statistics and Computer Science at UT Austin, and a Ph.D. student in School of Computing at University of Utah. I work in the area of machine learning and Bayesian statistics. My research is primarily on probabilistic modeling of massive and complex data. I focus on designing probabilistic latent variable models and efficient optimization/inference algorithms that can learn compact and interpretable latent structures and feature representations from such data, and leveraging these to better understand/summarize the data and make better predictions/decisions.
Recent Teaching (more)
CAM-GAN: Continual Adaptation Modules for Generative Adversarial Networks
With: Sakshi Varshney, Vinay Verma, Srijith P.K., and Lawrence Carin
Bayesian Structural Adaptation for Continual Learning
With: Abhishek Kumar and Sunabha Chatterjee
Efficient Feature Transformations for Discriminative and Generative Continual Learning
With:Vinay Verma, Kevin Liang, Nikhil Mehta, and Lawrence Carin
Generalized Adversarially Learned Inference
With: Yatin Dandi, Homanga Bharadhwaj, and Abhishek Kumar
Rectification-based Knowledge Retention for Continual Learning
With:Pravendra Singh, Pratik Mazumder, and Vinay Namboodiri
Few-shot Lifelong Learning
With: Pratik Mazumder and Pravendra Singh
Knowledge Consolidation based Class Incremental Online Learning with Limited Data
With: Mohammed Asad Karim, Vinay Verma, Pravendra Singh, and Vinay Namboodiri
Fine-Grained Emotion Prediction by Modeling Emotion Definitions
With:Gargi Singh, Dhanajit Brahma, and Ashutosh Modi
ACII 2021 (best student paper award)
Hypernetworks for Semi-supervised Continual Learning
With: Vinay Verma and Dhanajit Brahma
CSSL@IJCAI 2021 (best student paper award)
Towards Zero-Shot Learning with Fewer Seen Class Examples
With: Vinay Verma, Ashish Mishra, Anubha Pandey, and Hema A. Murthy
Some recent news (more)
- (October 2021) Our work on fine-grained emotion prediction, led by BT-MT student Gargi Singh, is the recipient of the best student paper
award at ACII 2021. Congratulations, Gargi!
- (July 2021) Our work on semi-supervised continual learning, led by Ph.D. student Dhanajit Brahma, is the recipient of the best student paper
award at CSSL@IJCAI 2021. Congratulations, Dhanajit!
- (June 2020) My Ph.D. student Dhanajit Brahma is one of the winners of Qualcomm Innovation Fellowship 2020. Congratulations, Dhanajit!
- (Sept 2019) Invited Speaker at Amazon Research Day 2019.
- (July 2019) Invited Speaker at IIT Alumni Centre Bangaluru Workshop on AI Deep Dive.
- (Feb 2019) Invited Speaker for Career Lecture at IRISS 2019.
- (July 2018) Tutorial co-chair (with Srikanta Bedathur) for CODS-COMAD 2019.
- (Sept 2018) Google AI/ML Faculty Award.
- (July 2018) Program co-chair (with Anirban Dasgupta) for 3rd Indian Workshop on Machine Learning (held at IIT-BHU, Varanasi).
- (June 2018) Invited Speaker at ACM India Summer School on Machine Learning.
- (July 2017) Invited Talk at IIIT-Allahabad Workshop on Machine Learning and Data Analytics.
- (Mar 2017) Sir Visvesvaraya Young Faculty Research Fellowship from MEITY, India.
- (Sept 2016) Early Career Research Award from SERB-DST, India.
- (Sept 2016) IBM Research Faculty Award.
- (Sept 2016) Invited Talk at Samsung R&D for the India Research Network 2016 meeting.
- (Aug 2016) Invited Talk at Microsoft R&D, Bangalore for the Microsoft Machine Learning & Data Science conference 2016.
- (July 2016) Purushottam Kar and I co-organized the 2nd Indian Workshop on Machine Learning at IIT Kanpur. Thanks to our gracious sponsors Microsoft India, Xerox Research, Google India, IBM, and the Research-I Foundation, IIT Kanpur.
- (Dec 2015) Invited talk at Xerox Research Center India (XRCI) Winter School
- (Oct 2015) Dr. Deep Singh and Daljeet Kaur Faculty Fellowship from IIT Kanpur.
- (Oct 2015) Back in India! Joined IIT Kanpur.
- Email: firstname AT cse DOT iitk DOT ac DOT in
- Office: RM-502, CSE Department, IIT Kanpur
- Phone: +91-512-259-6894