Geographical Information Systems
This is probably the field that needs spatial reasoning more immediately
than any other.
- GIS WWW resources
- The US Govt Bureau of Land Management Geospatial Support Staff
maintains this page with lots of links to GIS sites including data
clearinghouses, utilities, map places, etc.
- This recent tutorial by Shane Murnion, uses a logging map
example and replaces the earlier excellent job by the
Kingston U. GIS group (current whereabouts on the web unknown).
- T.U. Vienna, Geoinformation
- This department has a large number of spatial GIS researchers,
U. Frank, who works on qualitative reasoning about spatial
position and on GIS interfaces.
Information Research Group, U.Pitt
- This group, headed by Stephen Hirtle,
works on formal, cognitive and virtual models
for spatial reasoning. You can
search Stephen Hirtle's
bibliography as one of the resources at the Spatial Bibliography site
U. Manchester Map Semantics Group
- Ian Pratt Works on spatial models using
Sinusoidal Transforms and
on formal semantics of cartographic representation. See also the
KINDS Home Page for improving access to spatial data sets.
Univ of Glamorgan
- The Computer Studies Dept
has some projects on multiple scales and spatial consistency.
ERIN GIS - Geographic
- A service from Australia on the environment.
- US Census Online Map Browser
- The famous TIGER map and street data interface. Includes
an online graphical map server reflecting an enormous amount of data,
with map resolutions from street level to the entire US, (with
intelligent scaling from 1 to 2^13). The
U.S. Census Bureau also provides
many Other GIS services.
- DeLorme Mapping: Maps in the News
- Also see the
interactive hypertext map
to graphically browse the provinces
of the Netherlands (in dutch).
U. Laval Geomatics Dept
- This group includes Geoffrey
Edwards (check out this
Geocognostics paper)and Christopher
Long, and works on Voronoi Diagrams, remote sensing, image
AI in Design
It is estimated that 70% of the product cost is locked in by the time
a design is entered onto the computer. The stages preceding complete
geometry specification, called conceptual design are going
to be very important in the coming days. Spatial reasoning problems
here include finding similarity between designs (function and shape),
defining shapes ambiguously as in conceptual sketching, defining shape
classes as opposed to single shapes (already possible - parametric
- WPI AIDG -- AI in Design Webliography
- A web-list for AI in Design sites.
- WWW Virtual Library: Design
- Art and Design universities and sites.
- BEST Lab, Berkeley
- Headed by
Alice Agogino. Works on
design at the conceptual level and on modeling
spatial reasoning and
visualization skills in engineers.
Also see these design case
- Stanford Center for Design Research
- Also check out the Stanford KSL
for Qualitative Reasoning about Function,
the MADEFAST collaborative design project,
and the online interactive
- Virtual Design, Georgia Tech
- The Conceptual Design Space (CDS) is an interactive virtual
environment that focuses on immersive 3D design using innovative
virtual world tools.
Other 3D work includes
stereoscopic imagery for 3D
- Univ. Marseille
- The CASSINI group, with Jeansoulin Robert, works on Spatial Logics for GIS applications and image processing.
Center for Robotics and Dept Mechanical Engg
Indian Institute of Technology
Version 2.0 Last Updated
Wed July 17 11:36:22 EST 1998
Copyright © Amitabha
Mukerjee. This information may be freely copied.
If you have other suggestions for this page,
This page is